Faculty Jurisdiction

The Faculty Jurisdiction Rules 2013 have introduced new faculty forms and procedures with effect from 1 January 2014. The key changes are set out below and in the leaflet Important Changes to the Faculty Application Process.

1. A new form called a Diocesan Advisory Committee Notification of Advice (Form 2) will be issued by the Diocesan Advisory Committee (DAC).

As with the previous Diocesan Advisory Committee Certificate this is not an authority to carry out works, but the DAC's advice on the proposed works to the Chancellor of the Diocese.

2. A new form of Faculty Petition (Form 3A) and Standard Information Form (Form 1A).

Where a petition form has been sent to petitioners for completion prior to 1 January 2014, but the petition has not been lodged with the Diocesan Registry before 1 January 2014, the petitioners should ask the Diocesan Registrar or DAC Secretary for a copy of the new forms. 

Please note that the Standard Information Form (Form 1A) does not replace the Statement of Significance.

3. Publication of notice on diocesan website

Click here for details of current pending Faculty Petitions

The 2013 Rules require that from 1 January 2014 where the proposed works involve either:

  • alteration to or the extension of a grade I or II* listed church or the exterior of a grade II listed church to such an extent as would be likely to affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest; or 
  • demolition affecting the exterior of an unlisted building in a conservation area.

details of every petition lodged should be published on the diocesan website, giving in each case the date by which objections must be notified to the Diocesan Registrar.

To avoid any potential delays with progressing the application while the required period of display on the website is undertaken, it is therefore very important that immediately a public notice is put on display at the church, a copy of that notice is sent to the Diocesan Registrar with the faculty petition so that the details can be entered onto the diocesan website.