Emergency clergy

Below you will find a number of issues. We will add to the list as feedback is given to us.


Media questions regarding your private life
Do not let journalists into your home. Make a note of the journalist’s questions and phone number. Then call the Communications Manager on 07836 224444.

Spiritual burn-out
The diocese has a number of trained Spiritual Directors of Spiritual Companions. Contact Pastoral conversations can always be organised with any Bishop or Archdeacon.

Conflict with colleagues or parishioners
There are a number of people trained to help in mediation and conflict resolution. There is support therefore for clergy who find themselves in this situation. Contact The Revd Peter Reiss, Director of  Discipleship and Ministry Training. 

Someone has instigated Clergy Discipline Measure (CDM) against you
Many people are unhappy with some aspects of the working the CDM measure. In particular the rule that a member of the Bishop’s Staff cannot offer pastoral support to clergy, is seen by many to be an interference with the pastoral duties of the Diocesan Bishop. The Bishop of Manchester has appointed assistant Bishops to offer support to clergy. Your Area Dean can also support and advise you. The union UNITE (formally AMICUS) is also available and has considerable experience in supporting clergy through any investigation. The clergy or church worker helpline line is: 0333 123 0021 or visit their site. You can read more about CDM here.

Need Counselling
The Inter-Diocesan Counselling Service operates in our region.

This service offers confidential marital and individual counselling for clergy, accredited lay workers and their families.

For details of counsellors, please visit http://interdiocesancounsellingservice.org.uk/ and download their leaflet.

St Luke’s Hospital for clergy

Medical practitioners donate their services free to enable clergy to receive treatment so they can return to ministry as soon as possible. Details here.

Child Protection issues

If you have a concern and need to make contact about a safeguarding issue, please contact the Church’s Child Protection Advisory Service (CCPAS) on 0845 120 4550.

Click here for more information and policies about Child Protection.

Vicarage issues

During office hours call Church House on 0161 828 1400.

In the event of an emergency out of hours, please contact:

Central Heating or gas fire
Archdeaconry          Contractor Contact       Number

Manchester/Salford    H H Smith                       0161 280 3509/07765 371464 

Bolton/Salford           Craggs                            01204 697157

Rochdale                  Barnes & Booth                01457 872582


Gas Leak British Gas                                        0800 111999

Electrical supply failure Norweb                        0800 195 4141

Water Supply leak NW Water         0845 7462200 or 0800 330033

Electrical Emergency repairs

Paul Hindle                                                      07850 591415

Alarm – use your existing maintenance company, if none retained call CIA 2000 on 0161 624 8500.

Broken Windows

Montrose Glass                                                 0800 888 6123 (freephone)

Plumbing and Drainage

Andrew Millar (Dyno-Rod)                                  01254 771818 
(quote reference AC-04398-VUEW)


Ecclesiastical Insurance Group                          01452 528533


Loss of organist

A list of available organists can be found here.

Child Protection issues

Safeguarding Helpline 0845 120 45 50

Click here for more information and policies about Child Protection.

Major incident (explosion, chemical leak, crash, etc.)

Monitor local radio.