Affiliated Schools Scheme
The Affiliated Schools Scheme is a way of building on the many productive relationships that exist between parish churches and their local schools. Schools asked if provision might be made for a more public way of recognising the link, and so the Affiliated Schools Scheme has been developed.
Essentially this is a non-binding, three-way working relationship where school, parish and the Diocese of Manchester work together for the benefit of children and families.
Schools and parish churches have many aims and values in common: the well-being of their communities, the flourishing of individuals and families and the common good. Both are the heart of the community and it is therefore natural that strong links grow up between them.
The Church is concerned not only with its Church schools but is keen to contribute to the well-being and support of the wider education community. The Affiliated Schools Scheme is a way of extending what we can offer for the benefit of many more schools, and therefore children.
Affiliated Schools Scheme
Affiliated Schools letter to parents
What is Affiliation?
Affiliation is where a school, local parish and the diocese, as represented by the Diocesan Board of Education, enter into an informal, time-limited partnership for the benefit of the school. The link is based on trust, shared Christian values and the common aspiration of enriching the community.
Practically speaking, Affiliated Schools:
- Receive information on training, support, resources and activities provided through the Diocesan Education Officers and Advisors.
- Have access to training opportunities to strengthen RE, assemblies, spiritual, moral, social and cultural education.
- May wish to be included in the visits made by the Chairman of the Board of Education, Bishop Mark Davies, the Bishop of Middleton, and/or the Diocesan Director of Education.
- With Year 6 pupils, are invited to an annual Leavers’ Service at Manchester Cathedral (for infant schools, a service could be held in the local church).
- Receive an invitation to attend the Diocesan annual Schools’ Conference for headteachers and Chairs of Governors. Headteachers and Chairs of Governors are, bi-annually, also invited to Diocesan Heads and Chairs meetings in their local area.
- Are required to buy into the Diocesan Service Level Agreement. The 2011/12 annual subscription rate for an Affiliated School is £2.07 per pupil.
What Affiliation is NOT
- It does not give the diocese any power or influence in the school’s executive functions.
- It does not give the church the right to promote Christianity within the school.
- It does not provide access to additional funding.
- It does not require schools to pay for their ‘capital’ buildings (this only applies to voluntary aided schools).
- It does not affect the provision of Religious Education, although the RE Subject Leaders would be invited to join a network of Subject Leaders hosted by the diocese.
Affiliation is a bespoke scheme. There is no ‘one size fits all’. The way in which a school interprets and operates the scheme will be different in every case.
If the school would welcome a further conversation about the scheme, please contact Malcolm Finney, Assistant Director of Education, 0161 828 1432.