Manchester is a fairtrade diocese and encourages its church schools to become fairtrade schools.
These schools have to achieve five goals:
- Set up a Fairtrade School Steering Group, at least half of which are pupils or students and which meets at least once a term.
- Adopt a whole-school Fairtrade Policy.
- Use, sell and promote Fairtrade products as much as possible.
- Learn about Fairtrade in at least three subjects in each of two year groups.
- Promote and takes action for Fairtrade at least once a term in school and once a year in the wider community.
The goals don’t have to be followed in any particular order and will probably take a school a year or more to gather the evidence together.