In an emergency

Vicarage Emergency

During office hours call the Property Department at Church House on 0161 828 1400.

For advice on crime prevention or if there is a break-in at the vicarage, download our Crime Prevention leaflet.

In the event of an emergency out of hours, please contact:

Boiler, central heating or gas fire breakdown

Archdeaconry Contractor Contact Number
Manchester/Salford: Hadfield and Brittain Ltd on 0800 038 5020 

Bolton/Salford:  Craggs 01204 697157

Rochdale: Hadfield and Brittain Ltd on 0800 038 5020 

Gas leak

Gas Leak British Gas 0800 111999

Power failure of electrical emergency

Electrical supply failure Norweb 0800 195 4141
Electrical emergency repairs Paul Hindle 07850 591415

Intruder Alarm malfunction

Use your existing maintenance company, if none retained call CIA 2000 on 0161 624 8500.

Emergency board-up (out of office hours only)

Montrose Glass 0800 888 6123 (freephone)


Keyfax Manchester Ltd (not 24 hour service)
During office hours: 0161 339 7500
Out of office hours:
Jason 07801 482269
Darren 07801 482267
Kris 07860 271641
Jane 07801 482271

Access Locks (24 hour call out): 07730 203005

Plumbing and Drainage

Ian Walvin (Domestic plumbing emergencies) 07966 903662
NW Water (Water supply/leakage emergencies) 0845 7462200 or 0800 330033
Dyno-Rod (Blocked drains) 0161 429 7007
Dyno-Rod (Rossendale/Lancs) 01254 771818 (quote reference AC-04398-VUEW)

Roof Leaks and Repairs

David T Godwin 07792 837539

Break-in, theft, malicious damage

Try to avoid touching anything and contact the police immediately. Follow their instructions and obtain a crime number. If there is damage to external doors and windows the police may advise on getting them boarded up, but contact the Property Department first at the earliest opportunity during office hours. During out of office hours, please call Montrose Glass for board up or Keyfax for lock replacement (see above for contact details).

As soon as possible, notify your Archdeacon, and if there is loss or damage to the contents of the property, or to motor vehicles, notify your insurance company.


Ecclesiastical Insurance Group 01452 528533

Personal emergency

Clergy personal crisis

The diocese has a number of trained Spiritual Directors of Spiritual Companions. Pastoral conversations can always be organised with any Bishop or Archdeacon. 

The Inter-Diocesan Counselling Service operates in our region. This service offers confidential marital and individual counselling for clergy, accredited lay workers and their families. Please visit

Clergy spouses

Bishop's Visitors are available to provide support and give practical assistance to the spouses of clergy who are experiencing marriage breakdown. They maintain complete confidentiality and can advise on a range of support. Contact: Penny Applegate 07802 669379

The Church of England Diocese of Manchester,
Church House, 
90 Deansgate, 
Manchester M3 2GH

Manchester DBF Company number 149999, Charity number 249424
Telephone: 0161 828 1400