Church commended for conservation work
18 August 2016 IN: Parish News
Holy Trinity Church in Waterhead, Oldham, opened in 1847 and a tower and spire added in 1876. By the 1960s, the Church was looking shabby and by the early 2000s it was clearly in terrible shape. The only running water was through the roof, and the tower and spire were causing alarm. A series of lead thefts compounded the misery. The Church was put on the English Heritage ‘At Risk’ register in 2010, and plans to close the Church were discussed at about the same time.
Since then, the church has been transformed. The list is long: externally, the entire roof has been renovated and replaced, and the tower and spire have been made safe, repointed inside and out, and its internal ironwork replaced with stainless steel.
Inside, there are new lights and the sound system replaced, the entrance porch has been entirely refurbished with an elegant disability ramp and new toilets installed. The chancel and sanctuary have been reordered and a large community space created at the rear. Even the vestry has been renovated.
The work has entailed 13 Faculties, just over £700,000 in repairs, and almost 100 grant-application forms. Revd Dr Paul Monk, who is the Team Vicar, oversaw the project from its inception. He is absolutely delighted with the end result. “All of us at Holy Trinity are thrilled to have saved our Church. It cost £3600 to build in 1847 and today, having spent 200-times that amount, we’ve reimagined a beautiful space in which to worship, proclaim the Word, and enjoy”.
The church is celebrating the end of the renovation project on Sunday 9 October, at a special service at 2:30 pm.