Clergy Grants

There are many organisations and charities that can support clergy and clergy families with grants for educational purposes or in times of financial difficulty.

Below are the main local and national charities. For more information contact the person specified. Your Archdeacon may be able to help with additional charities not listed here. 

Local charities administered through the Diocese of Manchester

Fraser and Howarth Trust Funds

These two trust funds are administered from the Diocesan Office. Many of the grants are made to assist clergy of the Church of England serving in the diocese with the school fees and expenses of their children, but are not restricted solely to these items. Applications for grants are considered in April/May and October/November each year. The total income of the clergy family is taken into account when determining the size of the grant.

Any clergy in particular financial difficulties should contact the Diocesan Secretary, Church House, 90 Deansgate, Manchester M3 2GH for details of these trusts.

Bishop Lee Scholarship at Trinity College, Cambridge

This scholarship of about £116 per annum, tenable for three years, is open to the sons and daughters of clergymen who have officiated in the Dioceses of Manchester and Blackburn for a period of five years.

Intending candidates should apply to the Diocesan Registrar, Church House, 90 Deansgate, Manchester M3 2QH for information.

Grants for clergy and their families

This booklet gives details of financial assistance for clergy and their families. The booklet covers:

• Bursaries, Sabbaticals, Education and Training
• Children of Clergy
• Clergy Spouse/Retired Clergy
• Debt Assistance
• General Assistance with Hardship
• Health
• Holidays
• Vocational Grants

Download A4 version for easy printing


folded booklet version


Funds to assist retired clergy and clergy widow/ers

The Diocesan Committee for Retired Clergy and Widows overseas the administration of the following funds:
Clergy Widows and Dependents Fund (to assist clergy widows and dependents resident in the diocese)
Miss I L Bothamley Bequest (to assist widows whose husbands served in the diocese)
Thelma Turner Bequest
Bishop K V Ramsey Fund (to assist retired clergy and widows)

For details, contact the Ven Alan Wolstencroft, Bishop’s Officer for Retired Clergy and Widow/ers (link). 

Dioceses of Chester, Manchester, Liverpool and Blackburn

A fund for the relief of the widows and orphans of clergymen who have officiated in the Archdeaconries of Chester, Macclesfield, Rochdale, Bolton, Blackburn, Liverpool or Warrington.

Contact the Hon Secretary, Revd M S Finlay, The Rectory, Warrington WA1 2TL.

Frances Ashton Charity

Help for serving and retired members of the Clergy of the Church of England and widow(er)s of clergy now deceased. The Frances Ashton Charity will consider a grant for almost any purpose which is causing financial hardship. For an application form and guidance please contact Georgina Fowle, trust administrator, 07775 717606.

Funds for divorced or separated clergy spouses 

Broken Rights

Broken Rights is a national, independent association of divorced and separated wives of Anglican clergy, ministers and Church Army officers. It is a source of support and practical help to spouses of clergy who are separated or divorced.

The local contacts are Mrs Joan Warner, 28 Cow Lees, Bolton BL5 3EG and Mrs Diane Leakey, 28 Gilda Road, Mosley Common, Manchester M28 1BP.