Every Diocese in the Church of England has a Chancellor and a Registrar. Both are legal officers appointed by the diocesan bishop.
The Chancellor is The Worshipful Gregory Jones KC. He is the judge of the Consistory Court of the diocese and determines matters of church law. The Registrar is Donna Myers.
The work of the Registry is wide and varied and includes:
- Giving advice to clergy, parochial church councils, churchwardens, boards and councils about their offices and functions.
- Dealing with enquires relating to marriage, baptism, confirmation and burial from clergy and the general public.
- Preparing notices, licences and all other documents relating to the appointment of clergy and lay office holders, consecration of churches churchyards and cemeteries.
- Maintaining diocesan records and registers.
- Administering the court office of the Consistory Court and at the direction of the Chancellor issuing permissions known as faculties to authorise changes to consecrated land and buildings, burial grounds and exhumations.
- Issuing Common Licences on behalf of the Bishop of Manchester authorising marriages in parish churches and in other buildings licensed for the solemnisation of marriages according to the rites and ceremonies of the Church of England.
The Registrar is Donna M Myers.
0161 839 0092, email email@example.com