Find a Church  |  Vacancies  |  Documents  |  Directory  |  Safeguarding |  Contact 


Parsonages Online Handbook

Page Contents

Legal background

Working in Partnership

Provision and Disposal of Clergy Houses

Insurance and Utilities

Security and Safety


Interim Repairs and Maintenance

Central Heating and Gas Appliances

Interior Decoration


Kitchens and Bathrooms


Care of the Garden

Satellite dishes and Improvements

Neglect of Houses


Legal background

The responsibilities of the Property Committee are governed by the Parsonages Measure 1938 and 1974, the Repair of Benefice Buildings Measure 1972, the Church of England (Miscellaneous Provisions) Measure 2005, the Endowments and Glebe Measure 1976, and the Ecclesiastical Offices (Terms of Service) Measure & Regulations 2009. 

Under the Manchester Diocesan Scheme, the Diocesan Board of Finance is the Parsonages Board and the Board’s functions are delegated to the Property Committee. The Committee is also responsible for other properties owned by the Diocesan Board of Finance which are not subject to the above legislation.

Occupying the house

  • Clergy occupy their houses as ‘representative occupiers’
  • The ‘Repair of Benefice Buildings Measure 1972’ lays down the diocesan responsibility to be equivalent to that of a landlord under the Rent Acts
  • The diocese is responsible for structural repairs and exterior decorations
  • The occupant is responsible for non‐structural repairs, internal decoration and maintenance of the garden


The Chief Accountant of the Church Commissioners advises clergy:

If you are living in tied accommodation (e.g. a vicarage) you will not be taxed on your use of the house as you will continue to be a representative occupier. However, you will become subject to a tax on services provided at the house. Examples are:

  • Payments otherwise made tax-free in respect of heating, lighting and cleaning.
  • Internal repairs that are not structural and internal decorations of your house, that are paid for by the Church, but would have been your responsibility had you been renting a house. If you require clarification of any of the above, please contact the diocese’s Director of Finance, David Weldon, at:

Working in Partnership

The Property Committee works in partnership with various interested parties:

Clergy (and other office‐holders)

The Property Committee has a responsibility to make the best use of diocesan funds to maintain clergy houses, and this can only be achieved with the co‐operation of occupants. Though most clergy occupy the house by virtue of their office, they and their families are, in fact, ‘custodians’ of the house for themselves and future occupants. They are required to take reasonable care of their homes, keeping them clean and in good decorative order. They have a responsibility under the Repair of Benefice Buildings Measure 1972 for routine maintenance, such as the clearing of gutters, sweeping chimneys, internal decoration, and small household repairs. The garden should be kept in reasonable condition with grass cut and paths cleared of moss and weeds.

Clergy should contact the Property Team if problems arise with their houses or if there are factors that they think should be brought to the attention of the Committee.

Parochial Church Councils (PCCs)

PCCs are asked to support their clergy in the care of the house. Help with small or routine jobs can be extremely valuable. During a vacancy, there will be a special responsibility to look after the house, and churchwardens, as sequestrators, will usually be expected to hold the keys (see Vacancies). Advice and observations about housing from the PCC are always welcome.

In the case of non‐parochial appointments, the diocese normally takes on the same responsibilities as a PCC.

Church Commissioners

The Commissioners’ agreement is sometimes required prior to the purchase, building or sale of parsonage houses. They also offer advice and guidance on a variety of housing topics.


The Patron is consulted about proposals to buy, build, improve or sell a parsonage house and/or its grounds, or the provision of an alternative site.

Provision and Disposal of Clergy Houses

The Property Committee has, within the limits of available finance, a responsibility to consider the replacement of unsuitable houses and to provide houses to meet new pastoral needs. The Committee, acting on behalf of incumbents, serves notice on the PCC and the Patron and obtains, if necessary, the approval of the Church Commissioners for such proposals.

Full information on the current suggested standard for parsonage houses in the Diocese of Manchester is available from Darren Bamford, Director of Property at

The cost of new houses (whether built or purchased) is met by the Diocesan Pastoral Account. The funding of any project is subject to the approval of the Diocesan Board of Finance.

Insurance and Utilities


All parsonages for which the Property Committee has responsibility are insured under a comprehensive policy.

If the house suffers damage from theft, vandalism, storm or accident, then the property department should be notified as soon as possible. It is a condition of the insurance that if the damage was malicious the local police are to be informed.

Depending on the nature of the damage it may be necessary to carry out emergency repairs. Where possible, the Property Team should be contacted first.

In order to consider an insurance claim, the insurers will require a clearly itemised written estimate, a brief description of how the damage occurred, the date of the occurrence, and, if appropriate, the name of the police station contacted. These details should be forwarded to the Property Team.

All insurance claims against the block policy must be made through the property department. All successful claims against the block policy are subject to an excess charge. For claims resulting from accidental damage, the excess charge must be borne locally. Please note that claims for the loss or theft of house keys and the subsequent replacement of locks are to be made on the individual's household policies and not on the building insurance.

If other work is being carried out at the same time as insurance work, then care must be taken to obtain separate itemised estimates and accounts.

The property department only insures the house, and not the contents. Occupants must make their own arrangements for the contents of the house.

It should be noted that for a house expected to be vacant for more than thirty days, the insurance cover will be reduced.

Our policy requires that during vacancies the house must be checked daily for damage and security.

Water Charges

The payment of these is the responsibility of the PCC. Water rates are not chargeable on empty houses. During a vacancy, the sequestrators should inform United Utilities and arrange a rebate if necessary.


The diocese will provide a telephone connection to the house. At the time of the initial installation, telephone socket points will be fitted as follows: one in the study, one elsewhere on the ground floor and a third one at the discretion of the occupant.

Rental and other charges are the responsibility of the PCC and/or the incumbent, together with costs of installation of any additional telephone equipment and broadband internet.

During a vacancy, the PCC pays the telephone account until a new appointment is made. This can be refunded via the sequestration account.

If possible, the PCC should take the telephone in its name, thus avoiding difficulties with vacancies. The occupant’s name should, however, be inserted in the directory.

Gas and Electricity

The cost of gas and electricity is the responsibility of the occupant, who should look carefully at the various tariffs and discounts on offer from energy providers.

Security and Safety


The Property Team will ensure that parsonages are made secure to a reasonable standard.

Basic security measures that we would expect to provide in all houses are:

  • window locks to ground floor windows
  • five lever mortice locks to entrance doors
  • external security lights with motion sensors
  • an intruder alarm system with a movement detector to ground floor rooms and first-floor landing; key fob operation with a panic button

Additional security measures will be considered in particular circumstances, e.g. in areas of high risk or where repeated incidents have occurred

Where an alarm system is fitted the diocese is not responsible for its maintenance. It is recommended that parishes take out a maintenance agreement with an NSI-registered company.

If you have concerns about parsonage security, please contact the Property Team.

For more information, this page explains more about Preventing crime at the Vicarage.

Smoke Detectors

Occupants are strongly advised to fit smoke detectors in their houses and check them regularly.

Health and Safety at Work

All contractors working on parsonages do so within the current Health and Safety at Work regulations. Occupants are asked to take extra care of themselves, their children and their pets, when contractors are present in the house.

The Diocesan Surveyor should be contacted for advice on any Health and Safety at Work matters.


If an emergency occurs during normal working hours it should be reported to the Property Team on 0161 828 1400, who will organise the appropriate response.

An up-to-date list of emergency call‐out numbers can be found here.

In circumstances that require urgent attention outside of office hours, the diocese provides emergency call‐out services.

Before contacting an emergency call‐out provider, please bear in mind that they will charge the diocese at ‘out of hours’ rates, which can be very expensive. Please consider whether the matter could wait until instructions can be given during office hours by the property team.

Inappropriate use of emergency call‐out services may be charged to the occupant.

Listed below are various emergencies and basic advice for dealing with them.


If you discover a burglary or criminal damage to your home you should take the following steps:


  1. If you become aware of a break-in while you are still outside the house, enter with extreme caution.

The intruder(s) may still be inside and you may be at risk. If you have entered the house, avoid touching anything flat, smooth, or shiny, or areas around any obvious point of entry, from which fingerprints may be obtained.

  1. Ring the police and follow their advice. The non-emergency number is 101; in an emergency dial 999. They will give you a crime number that you will need later and they will normally attend the scene as soon as possible. If you can wait at a neighbour’s house it may be wise to do so but make sure the police can contact you.
  2. Follow police advice to make the property secure. During office hours, contact the Property Department at St John’s House on: 0161 828 1421

Out of office hours, if possible check the diocesan website for the latest information about contractors to call out if emergency boarding-up is needed or locks have to be replaced.

As Soon As Possible

Contact your insurance company and follow their advice. You will need the crime number provided by the police. If a claim is made the insurance company will advise you. If a car or car keys have been stolen you will need to contact your motor insurers as well.

Contact: Property Department - they will deal with all repairs apart from emergency out-of-hours assistance. They will deal with any claim necessary under the building's insurance and arrange a visit to discuss the parsonage security.

Contact your Archdeacon (at any time)

They can offer appropriate support in all aspects.

Later on

The police, insurance company, Property Department and your Archdeacon will all continue to offer support. The police may put you in touch with Victim Support.

Gas leaks

Inform United Utilities Gas Leak line on 0800 111999

Boilers and central heating

Telephone the contractor responsible for the annual gas maintenance visit. If they are unavailable, telephone the diocesan emergency call-out number.

Burst pipes and plumbing

Ensure that the water is turned off at the stop tap, and contact the diocesan emergency call-out number.

Electrical failure

If the circuit breaker (RCD) trips and fails to re‐set on the power circuits to the household plug sockets the following actions should be taken:

  • unplug all domestic items and re‐set the switch
  • if it fails to re‐set and it is considered an emergency, contact the diocesan emergency call-out number
  • if it re‐sets, plug in individual items until the circuit fails - this would indicate a faulty appliance.

Intruder alarm malfunction

Call out the relevant alarm maintenance company.

Broken windows

Contact the diocesan emergency call-out number.

Storm damage to property or trees

Call the diocesan emergency call-out number. If other properties are damaged or passing traffic or pedestrians are in danger, inform the police.

Interim Repairs and Maintenance

Clergy have an ongoing responsibility to look after the house, and to keep it in good order between Quinquennial inspections. Gutters, downspouts and drains should be kept clear and running freely and small jobs (e.g. changing tap washers etc.) should be undertaken or arranged on a DIY basis.

If it is necessary to use a ladder to gain access for repairs (e.g. cleaning gutters or similar), occupants should give careful regard to their own safety and should not lean ladders against plastic guttering.

If it is thought necessary for repairs to be carried out professionally, please contact the property department. If such work is likely to assume significant proportions, the Buildings Officer will visit and if necessary make a report for the Property Committee’s consideration. If damage occurs maliciously, accidentally or by storm then it may be possible to make an insurance claim. The procedure for this is set out under the Insurance section of this page.

Non-urgent expenditure should not be incurred without the Property Team's prior approval.

PVCu Doors and Glazing

These fittings, while offering various advantages over softwood, do require a degree of care in their maintenance. PVCu windows and doors do not rot, warp or lose their colour in normal use. They can, however, be permanently damaged by carelessness and by using unsuitable cleaning materials.

Do not stand ladders directly against a PVCu windowsill. Do not use a blowtorch or any other very hot appliance near to the window. The glazed areas should be cleaned as normal glass. The PVCu section should be cleaned with a non‐abrasive liquid cleaner. Do not clean with scouring powder, wire wool or bleach.

Windows or doors must not be painted, nor should curtain fittings be fixed directly to the window frame.

Central Heating and Gas Appliances

Gas and oil-fired central heating boilers and gas fires in parsonage houses are serviced annually at the expense of the Diocese. Under the terms of the service agreement, if there is a problem with the central heating or gas fires the first call should be to the maintenance contractor allocated to the parsonage. A Landlord’s Gas Safety Certificate will be issued by the contractor after the annual maintenance visit.

If there are any queries in respect of maintenance contracts, please contact the Property Team.

Any work undertaken by other contractors on central heating systems or gas fires without the prior approval of the Diocesan Surveyor must be paid for locally.


Although asbestos has been banned for building purposes since 1999, before this date asbestos was used in many of our parsonages. There is no risk unless the asbestos is disturbed. In 2015 and 2016 we carried out asbestos surveys on all our properties to identify and deal with any risks.  

These asbestos surveys have been issued to the occupants of all properties with asbestos to ensure that they understand where the asbestos is located and can provide this report to any contractors that carry out work on the property. The Property Team has commissioned new surveys to take place in the coming months to ensure that any risk is managed appropriately.

Interior Decoration

In general, Interior decoration is the responsibility of the occupant, but please note the following points:

  • Any redecoration needed as a direct consequence of authorised works will be undertaken by the Property Team as an integral part of the work. Redecoration will be to a basic standard, unless the occupants provide their own wallpaper or other materials.
  • If redecoration is required as a direct consequence of an insured event then the Property Department should be consulted so that the possibility of meeting the cost of remedial redecoration through an insurance claim can be investigated.
  • The Property Committee wishes to encourage clergy to keep their houses reasonably decorated and to this end provides a decoration grant. For details of current rates, please contact the Diocesan Surveyor.
  • The Property Committee has no wish to dictate internal colour schemes, nor has the power to do so, but it does request that strong colours on woodwork and painted walls be avoided. These colours are expensive to cover over and the cost of doing so is not the Committee’s responsibility.
  • Failure to keep the house in reasonable decorative order may be considered to be neglect (see Neglect of Houses).


Modern properties suffer from problems due to condensation. Water running down the inside of the windows is obvious evidence of this, but it has less visible effects as well. Condensation can result in damage to decorations,the growth of mould on walls, rotting timber work and mould in clothes. More often than not it is not caused by structural faults, but through incorrect heating and ventilation.

Ventilation is vital and does not automatically cause heat loss. Comfort is a balance between humidity and temperature.

When double glazing is provided, the Property Committee recommends that permanent ventilation be included. Extractor fans are provided in kitchens and bathrooms and should be used.

Condensation damage can be very expensive to rectify and the Property Committee could view such damage as neglect on the part of the occupant (see Neglect of Houses).

Kitchens and Bathrooms

When refurbishing a kitchen or bathroom the Property Team will invite the occupants to choose fittings and design elements from within a standard range. The Diocesan Surveyor can give details of these. Bathroom tiles and sanitary ware will be white.

The provision of a cooker is the responsibility of the incumbent. A cooker grant is available and details can be obtained from the Property Team. 

The diocese will provide connections for automatic washing machines and dishwashers. Tumble dryers (except condensing dryers) need to be vented to open air. Owners should supply the venting kit and the diocese will cut the relevant aperture for fitting.

Modern baths and shower trays are usually manufactured from acrylic (a type of plastic). This material is very durable and colourfast. However, the high gloss finish of the bath can be permanently damaged by carelessness or by using unsuitable cleaning materials. Do not use scouring powder, wire wool or bleach agents to clean bathroom fittings.


The diocese expects to provide adequate loft insulation and, at the time of writing, has a programme in hand for installing cavity wall insulation in those properties which are suitable for it. Further information can be obtained from the Diocesan Surveyor.

Care of the Garden

In general, care of the garden is the responsibility of the occupant. Offers of help from ‘green‐fingered’ parishioners may well be appreciated by clergy and others who don’t have quite as much skill or enthusiasm!

Paths, gates and boundary fences are the responsibility of the Property Department.

Should the garden become unkempt and overgrown, this may be regarded as ‘neglect’ and the outgoing occupant be required to pay the cost of restoring it to good order (see Neglect of Houses)

The cutting down or lopping of trees within the parsonage grounds is the responsibility of the occupant. However, the Property Committee is conscious of the cost involved in ‘tree work’ and will try, within budgetary restrictions, to fund expensive works.

It should be noted that trees may be listed for preservation or are in a conservation area, in which case the Local Authority’s consent is required before any work on them is undertaken. Failure to comply with this requirement can result in the prosecution of the occupant.

New trees should not be planted near the parsonage house. Poorly sited trees can cause damage to the structure of the property, the drains or boundary walls/fences. Remember the crown of the tree roughly equates to the size of its root system. Do remember that what may be a delightful tree to the owner can be a real problem to a neighbour who loses light and has to clear leaves from their property.

Care must be taken when removing trees. Some trees, in certain soils, if removed too quickly, can cause structural damage by ‘ground heave’.

Advice on tree work is available from the Diocesan Aboriculturalist via the Property Department.

Satellite dishes and Improvements

TV Satellite Dishes

These should only be fitted to a property on the clear understanding that when the property is vacated the device is removed and all making good is undertaken to the Diocesan Surveyor’s satisfaction and at the occupier’s expense. The same applies to any specialist radio antenna. Any damage caused to a property as a consequence of fitting such devices is the responsibility of the occupier.


Improvements are normally carried out at the time of Quinquennial and Vacancy repairs. Improvement work is subject to the availability of funds and the Committee’s approval. The Committee, working within its financial constraints, endeavours to improve older parsonages to the current standard, although in some houses this is not practicable. Sometimes improvements are only made possible if the occupant or the PCC is willing to make a contribution to the cost (which cannot be refunded in the event of a future sale or change of use of the property).

Any improvement work put in hand without prior approval of the Property Committee will not be funded.

Neglect of Houses

Should the Property Department feel that those responsible have not taken reasonable care of the house they may decide to charge them for the cost of works consequent upon this failing. The Repair of Benefice Buildings Measure covers such action if it is felt necessary.

Repair of Benefice Measure 1972 extract:

When the report of a diocesan surveyor, whether under section 4 or section 7 of this Measure, specifies any repair to a parsonage house as necessary by reason of damage caused or aggravated by any deliberate act of the incumbent or a previous incumbent or any default in his duties under this section, the Board may, on completion of the repairs, by notice require the incumbent concerned or his personal representative to pay them the whole or part of the cost certified by the diocesan surveyor to be attributable to the said act or default and, if the notice is not complied with, the Board may take proceedings for the enforcement thereof.

If you have any questions please contact Darren Bamford,

Powered by Church Edit